Woohoooo! You've made it to the third trimester and the reality that your baby is arriving soon has probably hit you like a ton of bricks! If you're like most of our clients, you want to be as prepared as possible for your birth and this means getting your hospital bag packed and organized by 36 or 37 weeks. If you're feeling a bit overwhelmed by this task - we’ve created an easy, but comprehensive list to make it easier on you. Having your bag packed and ready to go will help you feel more at ease as you enter these last few weeks of pregnancy and prepare to meet your sweet baby!
Hospital Bag Must Haves:
These are the things you shouldn't skip! Even if this is the bare minimum that you pack - don't forget these items!
- Prescription Medications
- Toiletry Items: Face wash, moisturizer, tooth brush, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, contact solution, etc. (They do not have most of these items at the hospital so definitely bring your own!)
- Glasses (if you're a contact-lense wearer)
- Slippers (we recommend throwing them away after)
- Comfortable clothing: if you're not interested in wearing a hospital gown for birth or postpartum then make sure you have clothing that allows for easy access to your belly and your nether-regions.
- Chapstick or lip moisturizer
- Hair ties
- Outfit to wear home: non-restrictive clothing is best!
- 1 or 2 extra pillows (covered in old or dark pillow cases that can be tossed afterwards)
- Cell phone/Tablet chargers
- Nursing tanks & bras
- Ear plugs & eye mask (helpful for those that need a little extra help to fall asleep!)
- Several copies of your birth/baby care plan
- Photo ID and insurance card
- Snacks for you and your partner! (grab our free printable for packing labor snacks here!)
Some Convenient Extras
These are great options to have for comfort in labor.
- Blue Tooth speaker
- Pre-prepped play lists (we recommend creating several - some with upbeat songs to energize you, others with relaxing sounds and no lyrics to help you focus)
- Fitness Ball (some hospitals have these, but they may not always be available or be the right size. When in doubt, it's helpful to bring your own).
- Essential Oils for labor
- Rebozo or a long scarf
- Christmas lights (read more about why here)
We haven't forgotten about your awesome partner! The following is helpful to have on hand to make their experience enjoyable!
- Snacks!! (we take eating seriously, don't forget food!)
- Hydrating beverages
- Personal toiletries
- Comfy clothing
- Breath mints or gum
- Comfy shoes
- Text/Call/Email list to announce the birth
- Extra layers (hospitals get cold then hot then cold again - dress in layers!)
- Phone/Tablet charger
- Treats for the nurses (protein bars, cookies, chocolate, etc. are all big hits!)
Your little one doesn't need much and the hospital has most of it especially diapers, wipes and swaddles! Many of these items are optional.
- Cloth diapers/wipes (if you're choosing to use cloth, you'll need approximately 10-12 diapers per day to be safe). Don't forget your wet bag for storage!
- Soft swaddles
- Going home outfit
- Onesies (2)
- Infant car seat
We hope this list is helpful as you get ready for your baby's birth day! Is there a "must-have" that we missed? We'd love to hear from you! Share your ideas in the comments!