Start your breastfeeding relationship off with expert guidance.
Luka Johnson is our resident Lactation Educator and Counselor. She provides our clients with education and preparation through our Breastfeeding 101 prenatal class and private, in-home classes. Luka also offers one-on-one breastfeeding consultations for new parents after baby arrives to promote healthy bonding and breastfeeding success.
During her in-home or in-office visit, she will observe a feeding session to assess your baby’s latch, positioning and suck strength. She will answer any concerns or questions you have about breastfeeding, such as establishing a supply, how often your baby needs to feed, and pumping & breastmilk storage.
Professional suggestions or referrals will be provided based on your unique breastfeeding relationship and a personalized care plan will be created for your specific needs. She will follow up via phone within 48 hours to answer any follow up questions.
Luka’s passion for helping new mothers have a successful breastfeeding relationship shines through her work as a CLEC.
Consultations & Classes
One on One Consults with mom & baby
Home, Hospital or Office Visit: 60-90 minutes
Skype: 30 minutes
Phone or Email: 25 minutes
We can provide assistance with:
- latching issues
- comfortable position suggestions
- recognizing hunger cues
- recommendations for a healthy milk supply
- creating a plan for returning back to work or school
- sore nipples or discomfort
- guidance on what to expect with newborn nursing patterns
- guidance on how to identify baby is getting enough
- pumping and storage
Returning back to work or school can be a big transition. Our lactation expert will help you be prepared with a breastfeeding and pumping plan to help create as smooth a transition as possible.
During this visit we will:
- Assess your personal situation
- Go over your pump, parts, or provide recommendations for a pump based on your situation
- Create a customized plan for pumping or expression
- Go over ways to maintain a healthy milk supply
- Feeding choices for care provider
- Go over guidelines for storage and preparation
- Provide print outs on current laws in regards to pumping in the workplace
- How to get the most out of the time spent with baby
- Resources and referrals
MILK MAMA: PRENATAL BREASTFEEDING GROUP CLASS
Hosted Monthly at The Collective
In this 3 hour class, you will learn everything you need to know about breastfeeding your sweet newborn. Luka will discuss proper latch and positioning, feeding frequency and duration, the first golden hour after birth, common concerns, establishing a supply, pumping and storing milk and how to tell if baby is getting enough. You will be provided resources and tools to get you and your baby off to the right start. Informative videos and demonstration dolls will be used. Time will be given to go over your questions as well!